View Single Post
Old February 27, 2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

I guess I'll stick my neck out there...

could you use them... SHTF... probably...

bear in mind, there is a huge amount of difference between the small pistol / small pistol magnum primers & the large rifle / large rifle magnum primers there is a much bigger fire & pressure handling difference needed between the smallest of the cartridges that take large rifle & large rifle magnum primers... often up to twice the powder charge, the powders are usually much slower burning & harder to ignite on the rifle powders, than the pistol powders are, add to that most magnum pistols just use bigger charges, most rifle use completely different powders when they get the "magnum" badge... you likely won't see that type of differences with small pistol ( at least as far as volumes of powder go )

personally I would just use / wait for large rifle primers, unless it was a SHTF situation... if you had to use them, I guess I'd start at that 10% reduced load, & possibly change to a harder to light powder type, to make as much use of the extra heat... only load a couple at a time, to insure your rifle will fire the cartridge, & that the rifle will cycle with the new load if it's an autoloader

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; February 27, 2013 at 08:40 AM.

Page generated in 0.02964 seconds with 8 queries