Thread: New Mexico Hogs
View Single Post
Old January 27, 2011, 02:48 AM   #17
PIGMAN

Thats a real fine porker there THEMUSGRAT. I was watching the Sportsman channel last night and some guy plugged a Warthog with 7mm WinMag somewhere in Africa. The 7mm sure enough killed it deader than Julius Ceaser but he was only 50 yds away and made a clean shot to the shoulders.When they retrieved the beastie they were surprised to find that the bullet failed to go thru the thing. Generally the hog family of critters seem to be very tough foul tempered animals for this reason I am in agreement with those of you who think that the bigger gun is the better gun when it comes to dispatching these things.

With everyones advice in mind and since I have one I believe I am going to use a .375 H&H with 270gr Barnes X bullets. If a 22/250 works using a head shot to the ear then a .375 should work even better. Truly when you are hunting dangerous stuff there is no such thing as too much gun.I am also thinking firepower may be a good idea as well ,since if one of these rascals charges like THEMUSGRAT's hog did and since it required 4 rounds of 30/06 to make a believer out of it then maybe I should take an LR8 along as well for a back up just in case things go side ways. After seeing the warthog shot with a 7mm WinMag on TV and since the bullet failed to exit said beastie I think I will pull some mil-surplus AP off 30/06 cases and load some .308 cases with them inorder to assure optimal penetration.

Isn't a peccary basically a mutant pig? No matter, regardless of the peccaries genetic pedigree, most all of us gun toten god fearin country folks like me know full well that if it looks like hog it must be a hog and the only difference that really matters between the two species in this case and from this country boys point of veiw is one kinda pig you gotta buy a tag to shoot and the other kinda pig you dont gotta buy a tag to shoot.

Last edited by PIGMAN; January 27, 2011 at 06:23 AM.

Page generated in 0.04901 seconds with 8 queries