View Single Post
Old March 30, 2007, 12:10 PM   #98
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Benonymous, if I'm eating the meat from an African antelope and others of my camp are doing the same, what difference does it make if I'm a visiting American or a resident?

As far as the big-rack deel with Bambi, it's pretty much a reasonable assumption that bigger = older = smarter and wilier. Thus, more of a challenge to those hunters who want a challenge in the dictionary sense of "sporting" as fair chase, fair play.

My father phrased it thus: "If you want the biggest buck in the pasture, you have to check out all of them. How else will you know which is biggest? Then, you have to go back and find Old Biggy one more time. Now, big bucks generally only make one mistake a season. If his one mistake was when you first saw him, you have your work cut out for yourself."

One thing about all the antlers I've kept: The memories include the meals as well as the hunts. Backstrap. Inner tenders. Barbecued hams. (Makes me hungry, just yapping about it. ) Keeping the horns makes those bucks immortal, at least during my lifetime. I can tell you the story behind each set.

I've never been interested in hunting Africa's "big four", but I'm fully aware that a village of natives would hug my neck if I provided them with the meat of a whole elephant. Their daily diets are low in protein. They'd consume a buffalo, as well. So, the "sport" gets his trophy; the locals benefit from a rise in their standard of living. Sounds to me like a good deal for all concerned. Is it not moral to help others improve their lives?

But I've never been much interested in hunting bears or meese*. Or going to Africa for other than a few of the plains antelope. Quail and doves, yeah, but little interest--dunno why--in ducks and geese.

Complex subject, ain't it?

Art

* If the plural of goose is geese...

Page generated in 0.03651 seconds with 8 queries