View Single Post
Old February 19, 2018, 07:54 PM   #29
Sevens

I cannot pick one, but my tale is one of growth... and how I have come to love many.

My formative years were spent reading Jeff Cooper in the late 80's so naturally... I was a card carrying 9mm HATER! Fast forward 30 years and I now own more handguns in 9mm than in any other single chambering. I obviously love it and as a hobbyist handloader, I love that not only are my own loads fantastic in my pistols, but 9mm brass grows on trees and I never have to worry about losing brass that my guns have strewn to hell & back.

.38 Special has always held a special place for me but what is noteworthy is just -HOW- much more I have latched on to this old standby in just the last five years -- let me explain!

My first ever metallic cartridge handloads were .38 Special and I figured I'd always love the round... for 25 years I did and then I got a Coonan Classic and overnight, I had a whole new platform for the round. Shortly after that, I found a lightly used but awe-inspiring custom PPC revolver built on a 1956 S&W K-38. And with that, I had another new place to shoot this old favorite. As if those two additions to my ".38 Special arsenal" weren't enough... at the ripe old age of fortysomething... my world changed forever as I bought my first S&W Model 52. I hate to use an overused line but if you aren't hands-on familiar with a S&W 52 then you may seriously have no real idea of what these pistols are like. In any case, WOW, .38 Special again and again! This past summer I added a Ruger 77/357 for steel plate fun... typically running .357 but had to laugh at finding another way to burn through .38 Special!

Anyway, that's a tale of two favorites and I have more favorites also.

Page generated in 0.03287 seconds with 8 queries