View Single Post
Old May 21, 2014, 09:11 PM   #24
Madcap_Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Noir
I find it interesting that they didn't teach any handgun shooting. Is the Army having a hard time finding 9mm ball ammo

Really, though, it is a bit disturbing since there will be some soldiers who will be issued those M9 pistols. I hope that further training is accomplished by our soldiers once they are in active units, or get assigned to specialties that may require caring the pistol. NCOs, tankers, artillery, are there not a lot of people with a pistol in today's army?

And if we have MPs that are not well trained in use of the M9, I just don't want to hear about it.

Bart Noir
No, there's no time to do handgun shooting, and no real need. MPs will do it during their AIT for MOS certification. Everyone else who is issued an M9 on the TOE will qualify with it prior to deploying with it. In my old company that was officers, the first sergeant, the medics, and the M240 gunners. The M240 assistant gunners would also qualify on the M9 but not carry one (They qualified because the gunners and AGs were expected to be interchangeable). All but the M240 gunners carried M4s as well.

Most soldiers in roles that traditionally would have been armed only with a pistol now carry a carbine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballardw
The targets, old armored hulk, were all stationary but it was fairly easy to pick where on the targets to hit at up to 200 yards.
That reminds me of the day when we got a whole pallet of AT4s during an annual training. Almost half the company got to shoot one. But in typical fashion, we were shooting at targets on one of the M2/Mk19 ranges and for safety purposes were not allowed to shoot at any of the targets closer than 300 meters.

Since 300 meters is the book maximum effective range against a point target with an AT4, and training also dictated for safety purposes that we shoot from the standing position... only one guy actually hit the target.

It's kind of funny, if you miss with an AT4 at that range into the kind of backstop we had, the rocket would usually richochet up and detonate 50-150 feet in the air.

Last edited by Madcap_Magician; May 21, 2014 at 09:20 PM.

Page generated in 0.02730 seconds with 8 queries