View Single Post
Old June 26, 2017, 11:16 AM   #99
Glenn E. Meyer

I would like to add that the solution is not to wait for the golden moment from SCOTUS.

Congress in the past has protected other civil rights (such as antidiscrimination and voting rights legislation) in concert with SCOTUS decisions.

It is time for Congress to stop playing around with minor matters like the HPA. It is time to propose legislation that:

1. Comes up with a reasonable scheme for reciprocity (not allowing a higher standard based on what NY or CA might want).

2. Forbid state bans on weapons type, mags, ammo that exceed Federal legislation.

However, Congress won't do that. In my tin foil mind, the progun forces prefer to have restrictions out there to generate uproar and votes. Vote for us because the other party is worse. So we just get meaningless blather at the NRA convention.

Now stopping new gun bans on the Fed level is just fine. But playing defense doesn't cut it. If I were the NRA - I would tell the progun party - that they become MORE proactive (cut screwing around with some other issues) and move progun stuff or we just might not campaign so hard for you.

The other party found out that ignoring the wishes and needs of its constituents reduced turn out. That's a hint.

Both parties and their advocacy groups really don't want to come to a real solution as then folks won't pay attention or vote for them. It's a devil's pact.

Page generated in 0.03224 seconds with 8 queries