View Single Post
Old June 14, 2019, 01:03 PM   #24
fastbolt

I have a longtime friend who commonly wears 2 or 3 handguns on him, even on his own rural property. Claims he picked up the desire during his tours in 'Nam. He can, so he does. FWIW, he's another retired peace officer and firearms instructor, and he's been involved in the martial arts for more than 50 years.

I don't often carry more than 1 gun, myself. I'm retired and am no longer being sent to suspected or known trouble a few times each hour, or managing a caseload that deliberately puts me in potentially troublesome spots 8-16hrs each shift. That significantly reduces my exposure to high risk environments. Instead of deliberately (professionally) looking for trouble, now it has to make the effort to come find me.

In those instances when I do decide to add a secondary weapon, I do so against the remote possibility of finding myself suddenly bereft of my primary weapon. I think of the secondary weapon as my "Onion Field" hideout. It's usually 1 of my LCP's or NAA Mini's that become that "hideout alternative".

In earlier years some folks who discussed the practice of cops carrying a secondary weapon opined that it ought to be at least chambered in a caliber equivalent to the primary weapon. Others fell back on an older preference, looking for the .22LR, .25ACP, .22WMR, .32ACP or .380ACP.

Like Bill Jordan, who once wrote in his book, "S&W Chief Special Airweight, .38 Spl. caliber. This is a fine hideout gun due to its fire power, small size and negligible weight. Would be ideal in .22 RFM caliber".

The old High Standard 2-shot O/U derringer, chambered in either .22LR or .22MAG, was reportedly often carried by cops as last ditch hideout weapons.

I remember some of the guys with whom I used to work, back in the revolver days carrying everything from itty bitty .22's, .25's, .380's and .38's ... up to .45 Commanders and S&W 2 1/2" M19's as secondary weapons. Once the practice was eventually formalized and controlled by policy it evolved into primarily seeing either .380's or .38's being requested for secondary carry roles.

Whatever may be chosen by someone for such a role (presuming its legal in someone's jurisdiction, of course), it's prudent to remember that being able to use it is just as important as being able to use a "primary", if not more so.

Page generated in 0.02078 seconds with 8 queries