View Single Post
Old October 24, 2020, 09:32 AM   #7
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
A friend bought a second firing pin then cut its tip off.
This is my solution for rifles with delicate firing pins. Fortunately for me, the delicate firing pins break in a manner that permits them to be used as dry fire pins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary09
But I don’t have any idea about rimfires Recently I came to know that when we do dry fire in a rimfire rifles it ill affect the gun’s performance because of its brittle firing pins.
I've lusted after some S&W 22lr pistols over the years. S&W warns against dry firing, so I've never bought one. Dry fire practice is important to me.

I've dry fired Ruger 10/22 rifles and MKII pistols many thousands of times with no ill effect whatsoever, EXCEPT once when I reassembled a pistol without replacing the firing pin stop. The damage to the barrel, not the firing pin, was immediate.

On my Ruger pistols, there isn't even a way to let the hammer fall gently on the bolt with the bolt partly open; the trigger is essentially dead until the bolt is nearly closed. Ruger's design for that pistol contemplates dry firing.

If you are just worried about damaged firing pins in a design in which dry fire is otherwise safe, buy extra pins and consider them consumables. Before you buy your next rimfire, research the manufacturer's position on dry firing so you are getting a solution you can live with.

Last edited by zukiphile; October 25, 2020 at 10:42 AM.

Page generated in 0.03678 seconds with 8 queries