View Single Post
Old August 18, 2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRub
C'mon we're allready starting to get off. Talking bout 357's and such.
Ok say for the 135 grain with 7.3 grains and 180 grain you have 5.3 grains. Same gun.
So, 135 grains of bullet and 7.3 grains of powder, 142.3 grains of ejecta coming out of the muzzle
vs
185.3 grains of ejecta coming out of the muzzle, albeit at a lower velocity

Presumably at the same pressure.

If you think of the pistol as a free object, the only forces acting on it are the pressure on the breechface and the friction of the bullet in the bore. Since, with the heavier bullet, the pressure on the breechface is acting for a longer period of time I would hypothesize more felt recoil with the heavier bullet. As a first approximation.

Second approximation would attempt to take into account the different time-pressure curve. Third approximation would take into account the bullet friction.

Without some sophistcated lab equipment, I think it would be easier to devise an experiment.

Suspend a sled from a pair of sawhorses. Let the sled swing freely. Lay down on the sled with the gun in a Ransom rest (or something similar). Fire off a round and measure exactly how far the sled swings back. With the same shooter (so the sled weighs EXACTLY the same weight as with the first firing) fire off the other round. Which ammo causes the sled to swing back further? That is the one with more recoil, and I bet it will be proportional to the calculated momentum of the bullet and ejecta at the velocities recorded by a chronograph.

Let us know how it works out for you, please.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.02536 seconds with 8 queries