View Single Post
Old May 5, 2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

Probably the reason you are having problems finding published data is normally .45 apc is not loaded with bullets heavier than 230 grain. Often this is a light bullet for .45 Colt. This bullet is probably going to be a little longer than a 230 grain is. You probably could develop a decent load for it so long as you seat the bullet as long as you can with it still fitting in the magazine and when you put it into the barrel it isn't touching the rifling. I would not use any loads near the upper end. The chances of over pressure will develop sooner than they would with a 230 grain bullet. You didn't mention if this is a lead, plated or jacketed bullet. The Nosler bullets I have loaded have all been jacketed bullets. I'm guessing yours are as well.

If you wanted to experiment you could use load information for a 230 grain Nosler bullet and an OAL of 1.255 if it works for your gun. Start at the minimum load and work up slowly. I would probably not use the highest load or even .2 grains under the highest amount of powder.

It depends on if you are looking for a softer shooting load or something heavy for hunting purposes as to which powder to use. Fast burning powders tend to give you softer shooting loads. Slower powders will increase the speed the bullet can travel and stay in safer limits. A fast powder you probably could use is W231 and a slower powder would be WSF or AA5.

I have not tried to use such a heavy bullet for .45 apc yet so I can't give you any load information I have found to work. The best I can do is give you my thoughts as to how I would go about trying to work up a load to work if I had to do it.

Page generated in 0.02054 seconds with 8 queries