View Single Post
Old August 10, 2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
While I expect media like CNN and Fox News to lie about gun control, it is sad to see a gun magazine attempt to convince its readers that any type of firearm in the USA is illegal.
Well, since you took the dig at CNN and Fox News, the general online pro-gun consensus would seem to be that they are the "liberal media" along with other forms such as Time Magazine. So then by default, American Handgunner is a form of media, therefore the error must be because they are part of the liberal media, right?

Actually, this is a great example. When the media does it, very commonly consider the reason to be intentional and secondarily due to blatant and often wilfull ingnorance, not bothering to sleuth everything about guns before reporting in a 500 word story.

So what happens when such statements are made by pro-gun folks. Those are usually considered to be mistakes, or as JamesK suggested, done intentionally to avoid the whole discussion on the issue by going with the short, less accurate interpretation to save print and $. In other words, they still misrepresented the information for money, if that theory is applied.

The real bottom line is that while various sources certainly may have some biases, this example in the OP and countless online discussions within this very forum indicates just how deep the level of ignorance is amongst pro-gun people in general about all sorts of aspects of guns, gun use, performance, legal aspects, etc. It happens all the time.

Heck, we even have folks, some with police and military experience, who think people can knocked down by bullets and will cite their long experience as proof to their claims, having confused the issues of falling down and being knocked down, but believe the latter despite it generally defying the laws of physics.

I used to love giving my boss at work, and NRA lifer, a hard time every time I heard him refer to a clip for his AK47 and when he would speak about registering guns here in Texas.

Ignorance is a bad thing across the board. Many of our "enemies" in the pursuit of a more pro-gun community are our enemies out of ignorance, but the really scary people are the pro-gun people who are just as ignorant and make equal or worse claims, and they can be just as damaging to our cause as our enemies, sometimes even more so when they are teaching or informing fellow gun owners with their ignorance.

Page generated in 0.04449 seconds with 8 queries