View Single Post
Old November 2, 2009, 09:30 AM   #1
jdscholer

Coyote Callin Nowadays

I just took a long weekend, and went out to our vast sagebrush desert to do a little coyote calling. I took the seats out of the Jeep Cherrokee, making a poor mans camper out of it, kissed Mrs jd goodby and took off by myself.

I'm not a beginner at this, but it's been awhile since I've done it in a serious way. Apparently between me gettin older, and coyotes gettin smarter, my kill rate has gotten smaller. but WOW!!! I'ts still a blast.!!

I did four or five different set-ups per day for a couple of days, calling in a total of four coyotes. (that I saw) These dogs were all within easy kill range, and for two of them I should have had the shotgun. Sounds easy don't it. Well I killed just one dog.

Seems like they come in a lot more cautious than they used to, and generally had busted me before I did them. And where ya think that a coyote that suddenly appears 30 yards away would give ya plenty of time to shoot him as he runs away, think again. These devils are magicians at using the terrrain to dissapear from whatever scares them.

I use good cammo, with full headnet and gloves, but have to do something with my rifle which is a stock Rem 700, which sticks out like a sore --- thumb.

I'm also pretty "old school" with my calling, using my old mouth calls not the latest electronic stuff. More than ever I can see the value of having the caller placed a distance from the shooter, whether it is a buddy or

Page generated in 0.03221 seconds with 8 queries