View Single Post
Old May 30, 2012, 02:12 AM   #38
fext

Quote:
The best rifle/scope/ammunition combo will not make a shooter out of an incompetent.
That's right. But we are talking the other way round I believe.
The scoped rifle is in fact not a rifle, but a system. Consisting of the rifle, scope, mount, ammo, and optionally a bipod. And as any other chain, this chain is as strong as it's weakest link.

So it's good to have the whole chain about evenly strong. If you buy an expensive rifle chambered for an unusual and expensive round, and put a cheap scope on it, the whole system will be shooting cheap. Plus, you will be shooting cheap while paying for expensive ammo and wearing out your expensive barrel.

So if I'm thinking a low cost scoped rifle, I'd divide the money I want to pay by 2 and the result is the rough price estimate for both rifle and scope+mount. If I need to save on something it would be rather the rifle, not the scope+mount. The rifle would be in an affordable and common caliber which can be easily reloaded (a lot of component available).
Also I might wait with the bipod for some time, and use cheap and good sandbags instead.

Page generated in 0.02108 seconds with 8 queries