View Single Post
Old August 23, 2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Lee Lapin

Depending on the shooter, a youth model 20 gauge might be a better way to go. I'd let the shooter decide if I were you. A while back I did a basic 'Defensive Shotgun 101' class for one of my nieces. I laid out a table full of guns for her to try. The one she chose, after shooting several, was an 870 Express Youth Model in 20 gauge. It happened there was an identically configured 12 gauge Express on the table that she had also shot - 21" vent rib barrel, 13" LOP stock. When I asked her why she chose the 20, she said it was just easier for her to handle. She shot a good bit of buckshot and slugs out of the little gun with no complaints, and took it home with her as a gift when she left.

My wife on the other hand shoots exactly the same 'house guns' I do, with the same buckshot and slug loads. She's about 5'4", and I'm about 6'2". The house guns here all wear 12.5" LOP stocks with premium recoil pads installed. None of them have magazine extensions or anything that adds weight out in front of the support hand. All have 18 - 20" barrels and long field type forearms as opposed to the short law enforcement forearms.

The important thing is that the gun HAS to fit the shooter to be comfortable for them. If more than one person is going to shoot the same gun, the gun should fit the smaller person. It's easier to adapt to a too-short stock than a too-long one - the biggest thing that's necessary to do is put the shooting hand thumb over on the trigger finger knuckle to avoid abrupt contact with the nose.

Find a place that offers rentals if no one you know has a youth size gun, if you want to do your experimentation with guns you didn't have to buy. But whatever you do to get a gun that fits your family shooters is a worthwhile investment IMHO.

hth,

lpl

ETA - the Remington 11-87 youth gun in 20 gauge has gotten a good bit of positive attention from several smaller statured shooters - see http://www.remington.com/products/fi...synthetic.aspx . Ask moderator pax here about it, she did an article for Women and Guns on it a while back.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.

Page generated in 0.02619 seconds with 8 queries