View Single Post
Old August 23, 2011, 10:22 AM   #2
BigJimP

I guess - depending on my budget ....I'd probably pick up a couple of guns / maybe even used ...so I would have some guns that either of them could shoot...

I have a 20ga Benelli Super Sport - 6.2 lbs, 28" barrel, LOP is adjustable with changeable butt pads that snap on and off.

I've also picked up a couple of good serviceable used O/U's - Browning lightning models ...older guns ...with the older Invector choke systems ...26" and 28" barrels ...and in 12ga and 20ga ( I paid about $ 600 each for them ) - cleaned them up / refinished the stocks...( they are guns I intend to pass on to one of the grandkids down the road ...) but a minimal investment for a good long term gun ...and I could always sell them if the kids get too big/or if noone wants them.

and I have a 28ga Browning XS Skeet O/U as well - 30" barrels ...( but its a competition gun that I shoot / but I let the younger grandkids shoot it as well ). A 28ga standard load is 3/4 oz of shot ...and I could download a 20ga to 3/4 oz ...and some guys are even doing that with a 12ga too...

Upper body strength vs weight of the gun is a big deal for a new shooter - and I'd make sure I'd have a gun they could swing without getting tired for 25 shells. Recoil is also a big deal ...and whether I had a 12ga or 20ga for them ...I'd load some shells in a 12ga down to 7/8 oz and 1150 fps ...( which is similar to a 20ga standard load ) and in a heavier gun, a lb of weight will reduce recoil 15% or so. So picking a shell is a big deal ...but start first with a gun weight that works / and a length that works ....but every kid is different ( my boys at 13 were 6' tall / some of my grandkids at 13 are only 5'6" ) and young kids can be skinny one year / and develop some muscle in a yr ....so it changes quickly.

Many gas operated semi-autos are just too heavy for young shooters ...but there are some "youth" guns out there...you just have to look / or the Benelli Super Sport is a very good gun - but today new they're in the $ 1875 price range ....so I might look for some of the older O/U's or a used Remington 11-87 or Rem 1100 .../ and invest in a couple of MEC Grabber reloaders - one in 12ga and one in 20ga so I could do whatever I needed....

My point is ....I'd rather invest in a long term gun / that I might shoot down the road ...or a nice gun, that I could give to one of the kids when they turn 18 or something as a gift ....vs a short term throw away gun ...( the used Browning O/U's - their entry level O/U used I bought for $ 600 - are now worth $900 probably / the 20ga Super Sport I bought new was $ 1200 and used is now worth $ 1500 probably ...and I wouldn't mess with changing stocks so much ...as stand alone guns../ there are a lot of good values out there ...but I'd stay with guns that at least have strong resale value. Some kids will want to get into shooting / some won't care ....( we have 4 kids - 2 like to shoot , 2 don't care --- and 10 grandkids ....only 1 is really into it and he's 19 and pretty busy with school)...and every family is different .../ and they may come back to it in 15 or 20 yrs too ...who knows...

Last edited by BigJimP; August 23, 2011 at 10:39 AM.

Page generated in 0.02992 seconds with 8 queries