View Single Post
Old August 2, 2011, 05:12 PM   #1
Rachen

Reloader 7/IMR 3031 as volumetric "substitutes" in black powder cartridges?

I am a high volume reloader of .45 Long Colt for as long as I can think of, but I only have dealt with black powder or substitutes like Pyrodex and Hodgdon's Triple Se7en.

But I want to ask about certain types of smokeless powders which could be loaded volume for volume in a black powder cartridge and produce identical velocities and lower pressures than actual black powder.

Reloader 7 and IMR 3031 are similar in that they are very slow burning rifle powders, is that true? I have heard that they were produced as substitutes for black powder in large caliber straight-walled cases and they deliver even more velocity than black powder by the same volume, while producing even less pressures?

For example, a .45 LC case would be normally loaded with 33-35 grains of BP with a 250 grain LFN seated on top. If I used Reloader 7 or IMR 3031, can I fill the case up to the same volume that I would have used with BP, and attain similar velocity and lower chamber pressures?

Just wanted to verify the facts here. I like the idea of having a powder which delivers equal performance in my BP cartridges, while producing less pressure and reducing the wear and tear over time on my firearms.

Page generated in 0.02462 seconds with 8 queries