View Single Post
Old October 21, 2010, 04:09 AM   #10
olyinaz

Quote:
I am a dedicated Ballistol user and, as you know, it was designed to be mixed with water. Mixing it with some toxic substance does not make sense to me as there are many other toxic products/mixes out there that would probably work better. The beauty of Ballistol, the original "CLP," is that it is non-toxic, can be mixed with water, and does not hurt, but actually helps metal, plastic, wood, leather, house plants, etc. I would look in another direction if you intend to "toxicify" Ballistol.
Hogwash. The "non-toxic" nature of Ballistol is massively over hyped pretty much the same way most of its miracle claims are. Don't believe me? Drink a pint of it and I promise to attend your funeral and lay some flowers.

Major components of Ballistol include buytl and propyl alcohols which do not fall into anyones notion of "non-toxic". Ballistol is COMPLETELY toxic the same way that methanol or isopropyl alcohol is. It will kill you dead if you get enough of it in your system and long term absorption of it's toxic chemical constituents over time will surely cause CNS damage the same as methanol. One could argue that it's less toxic than acetone or MEK or gasoline etc., but that's like saying that it's also less toxic than cyanide or arsenic - big deal, poison is still poisonous.

The only claims regarding the stuff that matter is that it emulsifies well with water (useful for BP shooters) and it neutralizes corrosive salts (useful for BP and corrosive ammo shooters). Those are EXCELLENT properties and form the basis of why it is and should be popular stuff. Everything else it claims is marketing hype and grandiose hype at that.

As much as I like the stuff the truth is it's also expensive and rather THICK and that is why I would like to find something to cut it with. I do not need it to be so thick when what I wish to use it for is a light spritz on guns for flushing or wiping down, and I dang sure don't want any WATER in it for many of the general purposes I use it for. I had high hopes for ethanol (now THERE is a chemical that is "non-toxic") but that did not pan out and since I don't wish to work through every spirit out there so I was hoping that someone here already knew of one that would work. Simple question! Or so I thought...

Oly

Page generated in 0.02461 seconds with 8 queries