View Single Post
Old June 21, 2009, 12:42 AM   #15
Doc Intrepid

Flying with firearms and ammunition...

it's something I've done a fair amount of.

It isn't that tough if you simply follow all the rules.

Basics are here on the TSA website:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

But you'd be wise to also go to the website of whichever airline you're ticketed on to see if they have some other restrictions. Here is one example:
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1035,00.html
(scroll down to Firearms)

Print this stuff out and bring a copy of it with you. Occasionally you run into a gate agent who isn't familiar with the standard operating procedure, and they want you to pull out the firearm and show them that its unloaded. Don't do that. If that happens, ask to speak to a supervisor. It's just a matter of educating them, but don't pull the gun out in front of the ticket counter. It only happened to me with one guy...several times with the same guy, finally a letter to the airport manager got this dude straightened out. But only one ticket agent, and thats dealing with Delta agents in over 8 airports inside the continental US. But it only takes one guy to ruin your entire day.

On Delta airlines you declare that you have a firearm in checked baggage. They hand you an orange tag. You sign it, declaring that the firearm is unloaded. The orange tag goes INSIDE your suitcase. (Otherwise it becomes a "please steal me" tag.) I travel with the pistol in a hardshell pistol case, which was locked, inside a Samsonite hardshell suitcase. The suitcase also should be locked - but you need to ensure you have TSA locks so that TSA inspectors can get inside your bag to inspect it. Pelican cases (such as the 1510) are also real nice for checked luggage, but they're heavy. Here's one you might find useful:
http://www.pelican-case.com/15caonca.html

You use padlocks with these - but again, ensure they are TSA padlocks, so your bag can be inspected.

If you're carrying ammunition, ensure that it is in the original manufacturer's box. They get hinky if you have one of those aftermarket plastic cases. So long as its in the manufacturers box you'll have no problems. (As you can see on the Delta website, you're limited to 11 lbs of ammunition, but as you're limited to 50 lbs total anyway this isn't generally an issue.)

Occasionally they tell you to go get your suitcase xrayed. No worries. Just run it through the xray machine - you'll see the outline of your firearm as it goes through.

One thing you might find helpful. Traveling with a gun occasionally subjects you to additional delay. Get to the airport even earlier than normal. An extra hour isn't too much - I've had to roll the suitcase over to a remote office in the Denver International Airport to get it xrayed. Then roll it back, have it inspected by TSA, checked in, etc. You don't want to be rushed trying to make a gate time if you're traveling with a firearm. Leave yourself plenty of time. (You can always find a way to kill time once you've processed through security.)

Regards,

Doc

Last edited by Doc Intrepid; June 21, 2009 at 01:07 AM. Reason: typo

Page generated in 0.04970 seconds with 8 queries