View Single Post
Old September 6, 2007, 10:51 PM   #15
sholling

Quote:
Have you experienced any FTF or FTE in the compact 45? I thought anything below 4" was considered taboo for a .45acp 1911 as they won't function properly and reliably?
Honestly timing can be an issue. My Ultra Carry was a very early production pistol and yes I had a few FTFs when it was brand new. Right off I traced this issue to the cheapo gun show magazines that I'd purchased as spares. Once I switched to Chip McCormicks the problem just went away. And since it's been broken in (~250rds) I've thrown CMC, Kimber, Colt, and a couple of Colt marked ebay mags that I suspect are Chinese knockoffs at it and it just works flawlessly. I'll be trying out my new Wilson 8rd extended officers length mags on my next trip to the range. I'll feel well armed with 7 plus 1 230gr JHP up the pipe and 2x8rd spares. I also like the fact that should the situation warrant I can light the bad guy up with my Crimson Trace laser grips. No silly bolt on stuff hanging off it.

Ballistic are also going to be an issue with a shorty. 9mm really loves a long barrel. Yes they do well from a 4" but they do better from a 9" SMG barrels etc. The 45 is optimized for 5" and it also gives up velocity with shorter barrels - but the least it will leave is a .45 hole and there are loads that people claim work really well from a 3" barrel. I have Federal 230gr +P Tacticals in mine. These supposedly have done well in tests. Whatever caliper you choose this is something that I strongly suggest you research first.

I'll be honest. To me the perfect compromise is a 4" (for added velocity) 1911 in 45acp with a short officers sized aluminum (steel if you're recoil shy) frame loaded with Speer 230gr +P Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo.

Page generated in 0.02401 seconds with 8 queries