View Single Post
Old November 9, 2005, 12:55 AM   #34
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Seems the police out here are moving away from the shotgun all together and going to the M16.
It seems the younger guys tend to go with the fancier, auto weapons, but I've been in this business long enough to tell you that the police shotgun is by far the most formidable weapon in the police arsenal, and its versatility and effectiveness cannot be denied. Except for situations where a precision shooter is needed, the shotgun will do everything the rifle will do and more. Long range, precision shots in law enforcement are rare; most shots requiring "heavy weapons" are at far closer ranges. The shotgun is a true "one shot stop" weapon at close range, and perhaps the only one (except for a brain stem shot by a precision shooter). It can be used as a breeching tool for closed doors (00 at the hinges), it can shoot around corners and under vehicles in ricochet shooting, and the variety of ammo available is astounding. Ferret rounds used during a high risk stop will empty a van of occupants refusing to exit in a heartbeat. You can have your MP-5's, your M-16's, and your P-90's. My experience is, I'll take an 870-P any day.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie

Page generated in 0.02554 seconds with 8 queries