Thread: .223 rem brass
View Single Post
Old December 25, 2011, 11:00 AM   #20
Orochimaru

I have found that rifle reloading isn't any more difficult than reloading for other weapons, it is just more time consuming and involves more steps. There are some subtleties with rifle reloading, but nothing that can't be learned if you are comfortable with the basic process and have clean, repeatable processes for your reloading.

Rifle generally doesn't allow skipping steps, whereas handgun reloading may (depending, of course).

You really can't skip dealing with a crimped primer pocket. You either have to swage it out or remove material to open the pocket. Either way, the step is necessary to seat a primer properly. However, the good news is that once done IS done. You'll not have to do it to a given piece of brass again.

Same for measuring web thickness. (I've tested some of my Federal/AE brass and found acceptable web thickness, FWIW. It may be only certain years' production that was thin.)

If you full-length size, you'll need to use case lube. If you use case lube, you'll have to clean the cases after resizing them...

You may be able to skip trimming on rare occasions. Not very often, though. And if you trim, you have to deburr and chamfer.

Not much opportunity (or, honestly, reason or desire) to skip a step. Rifle reloading simply has more steps and fewer opportunities to safely skip a step. That said, it is still a LOT of fun and very rewarding to reload rifle calibers -- and in some situations, the only way to affordably fire some calibers. If you have safe, repeatable processes and attention to detail, you'll be fine.

Page generated in 0.02362 seconds with 8 queries