View Single Post
Old September 13, 2009, 04:37 PM   #6
flippycat

I will say at 35'ish foot, through a sweatshirt and in the back it stings like hell for about 5 hours :P.

A friend of mine and myself used to ride quads all over when we were younger, about once a week we would cut through this farmers cornfield on our way to some other trails around an old onion farm (we did no damage as we stick to the tractor rows) tons of other people in our area also used his fields as a shortcut to some good trail riding. We heard the storys about people getting shot at etc etc... either way we were trespassing...
anywho..

we got chased off a few times and still continued to use it as a shortcut. We would just drive faster the next time through. Mind you we were 15 and stupid as all get out lol. Well we did find out the hard way the rumors were true and we both took some salt the VERY LAST time we used his field.

We were riding double doing about 20 or so down the fields edge next to a hedge row, when we flew by him standing at a space in the hedge row we both had pucker factor 20+ working overtime lol. I tried to duck and tuck against my friend as he mashed the throttle but we found out you cannot outrun a shot at about 35 foot lol... I took one piece of salt rock right through my sweatshirt on my right shoulder and he took one in the back of the hand and one that seemed to graze his right cheek.

We stopped about a mile away gave ourselves the once over checked our pants and made our way back to my family's farm in a very round abouts way were my father was waiting in the driveway and immediately began to chew us both out after receiving a call from Mr Crymer the guy who has just pelted us with saltrock.

Long story short, my experiences with it even after cleaning it out and soaking in a bath stung for about 5 hours. The back of my friends hand was black and blue for about 2 weeks though similar with me the stinging stopped after a bit. His cheek just looked like a scratch really and didn't break the skin.

I would go out on a limb and say it could be very lethal at close range given a good placement. It will go through clothes and will break the skin. I will say though it taught me a lifetime lesson about obeying no trespassing signs.

Page generated in 0.04003 seconds with 8 queries