View Single Post
Old January 3, 2014, 07:15 AM   #33
Sarge

The paper plate thing has been overly generous all along. Over the years, I've found 8-10 deer that someone else hit toward the ass-end of that magic paper plate. I hit one like that myself a few years ago (44 Mag/300XTP/1350) and bought myself a 300 yard tracking job. Not cool.

If you want a cheap picnic target that relates more closely to meaningful kill shots, use paper bowls that measure around 7" max, edge to edge. Count only those shots that cut the bottom of it. If you can do that from field positions, 90% of the time, with a high-powered rifle or heavy hunting revolver- you've found your effective range.

Shooting for meat is a different matter. A deer is a much less visible target than the picnic bowl. Poor light, grass and brush make the shot even harder. I think there is no substitute for shooting at animals--especially for handgun hunters--and I encourage you shoot junk critters before you contemplate deer hunting with one. You've got to learn to shoot for a specific spot on an animal and the variables are many. There is simply no substitute for actually doing this.

The mechanical accuracy of the firearm is a lot simpler matter. 2 MOA for rifles and 4 MOA for conventional hunting handguns is all you need.

Last edited by Sarge; January 3, 2014 at 09:31 AM.

Page generated in 0.03491 seconds with 8 queries