View Single Post
Old March 12, 2013, 12:32 PM   #16
Bart B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 15, 2009
Posts: 6,318
jehu, I don't think my first two sentences in my post are conflicting. The first one's about bullets; the second about cases. The third sentence covers bubba's old Wolf cases coated with lacquer sold to the original poster and he gums up his fine bolt action hunting rifle. Wolf only coated cases, not bullets.

Less than 2% of barrel wear is caused by bullet jackets; they're much softer than barrel steel. The other 98%'s caused by hot buring gasses at high pressure and improper cleaning; virtualy all in the first inch or two of the rifling. If that weren't true, then bore and groove diameters starting a few inches down the bore would not remain virtually the same for thousands of rounds. Some folks have set back .308 Win. barrels 2" twice from starting out at 28 inches long and no accuracy degradation's been observed after 5000 to 7000 rounds per length..
__________________
US Navy Distinguished Marksman Badge 153
Former US Navy & Palma Rifle Team Member
NRA High Power Master & Long Range High Master
NRA Smallbore Prone Master

Last edited by Bart B.; March 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Bart B. is offline  
 
Page generated in 0.03370 seconds with 8 queries