View Single Post
Old May 18, 2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Sevens

We had a monstrous long one quite some time back, but I suppose a new one would be good.

--I use 2-inch by 2-inch post-it notes a LOT on my bench. I put the load info on them and tape them to the inside of my ammo boxes and use them to make notes on bullet boxes. I use 'em at my desk when I've decided on a particular load to try and I've triple checked it -- then take that 2x2 post it note down to the load bench and go to work. Having no 2x2 post-it notes for me would be like running out of primers.

--I reloaded for a couple of YEARS without keeping decent records... a tremendous amount of wasted effort so if you are new, don't make that same mistake. Log e-v-e-r-y single load you've ever built, even the craptastic ones (especially those!) to give you a knowledge base to refer back to.

--After a few years of reloading, I finally decided to join the folks who say "to hell!" with cleaning primer pockets on handgun ammo. Man, that was one of the best moves I ever made. Cleaning them sucks and I have never, EVER had a negative experience since. (I still clean rifle, because there's much less of those to clean and a little more accuracy that I'm asking for...)

--Everyone says to use little squares of used dryer sheets in the tumbler... but we don't use them in our house. So I cut little 2x2 squares of paper towel and put three of them in each tumbler load and they do a phenomenal job of gathering dust and filth. That and a shot of Nu Finish and 4-5 hours with a lamp timer does all my brass and does a fine job.

--Carbide dies don't need lube... everyone knows that, right?! Well, a tiny (TINY) touch of imperial on my brass makes sizing almost effortless. And sizing is the most physical lever throw in the whole operation. So folks may laugh when I add just a speck of lube before I size my pistol brass, but I sure as hell know what I'm doing and I'm not going to quit any time soon.

Page generated in 0.03516 seconds with 8 queries