View Single Post
Old February 26, 2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Sevens

There's plenty of reasons to rule out the polymer framed 10mm pistols when choosing, but recoil for sure isn't one of them. My Glock 29 feels perfectly fine with normal 10mm ammo. And by normal, I mean REAL 10mm ammo, not the weak, watered down poof loads that are offered by the few big companies who actually have a 10mm load hanging on in their catalog.

If you want to rule out a polymer frame pistol, do it because they are horrificly ugly, or they feel like plastic, or because the weight distribution feels odd, or because the grip isn't classic.

But don't rule it out because of recoil that you haven't felt. For sure, it's a big bang and it makes quick follow up shots MUCH more difficult... but it's not a painful or harmful bone-rattling shock to the hand and wrist like shooting hot and heavy .357 Mags out of a scandium 2-inch snubbie.

Quick note -- if you go for a G29, the Pearce Grip Extensions installed on the magazines make a world of difference in grip, feel, and control, and they don't add much to the size, bulk or carry ability of the pistol. (it's a big fat SOB, though, be forewarned)

I also love my 1006 and can highly recommend them, but not many folks are willing to pay more for a used and long-since discontinued S&W than they will for a new current 10mm offering. The S&W pistols are some of the best guns ever made, but they are going for big bucks... a year ago, you cold probably get a fine example for $600. Now, that is a starting price for a beat-up one. Unless you run across a steal somewhere... the 10xx pistols go for a premium considering they haven't made one since 1994. (1995?)

Page generated in 0.02309 seconds with 8 queries