View Single Post
Old October 11, 2018, 03:00 PM   #1
Fallen God

Question regarding lubing and storing guns

Hello,

I am fairly new to guns and a new member of The Firing Line, and I have questions regarding the proper lubing of guns for storage. I apologize if this question has already been answered or is in the wrong place.

So, I've been told that when storing a gun, to make sure to lube it as you normally would with a thin layer of oil on the inside of the barrel and outside of gun to prevent against corrosion. But, to run a patch or two through the barrel before firing to remove the oil.

Here are my questions:

-when firing a semi-automatic pistol, is it safe to have the OUTSIDE of the barrel lubed? I know these barrel get hot, but I'm just thinking of proper lubrication since slides rub against barrels.

-When storing a gun (whether rifle or pistol), is it okay to keep it lubed both inside and out like you normally would, but chambered with a round with a thin coat of oil in the barrel? Same with bullets in the cylinder of a revolver with the holes oiled? The bullets wont cause any issues over time to the gun will they and vice versa? If I were shooting it, I wouldn't do It. I'd wipe it out.

-Can I carry a gun with the barrel lubed inside? I know If I shot it in an emergency, it wouldn't be good, but since it is unlikely to happen and would be an emergency, I shouldn't worry?

Thank you for the help

Page generated in 0.02150 seconds with 8 queries