View Single Post
Old January 11, 2019, 01:00 PM   #1
KASarich

Power Pistol in the .38 Special

OK everyone, I know this is an old cartridge and an old powder and I'm sure it has been discussed over and over again...in fact, I know it has because I've done my homework. The question here is really not looking for load advice, but for your opinions on safety with a particular load.

Here goes...I have loaded some .38 Special with 158 Grain Semi-Jacketed Hollowpoints, I used between 5.55 and some may be as high as 5.6 grains of Power Pistol. The charge bar was set to 5.55 but, a few extra flakes here or there happens. I check my charges frequently when reloading...it's not that I don't trust the Dillon, it's for my own peace of mind. This was stuffed into mixed range brass and lit with a CCI 500 primer.

I fired 18 rounds today through my chrono, although I only got seven shots recorded...the sun just would not cooperate.

1.) 772 FPS
2.) 837 FPS
3.) 856 FPS
4.) 767 FPS
5.) 864 FPS
6.) 839 FPS
7.) 813 FPS

Average = 821 FPS ES = 97 FPS SD = 36 FPS

My question comes from this:

The Lyman 49th shows a 158 Grain XTP as being a +P load at it's maximum charge of 5.2 grains of Power Pistol, if I remember correctly, but the Hornady 10th shows the same bullet (158 XTP) as having 5.7 grains of Power Pistol being the max charge for a standard pressure load, and 6.0 grains being the max charge for a +P load with that bullet. I am not loading XTPs in these cartridges, but a similar hollowpoint bullet. I measured them side by side and the Hornady bullets measure about .010'' longer than what I am loading, which makes sense as my rounds are about .010'' shorter than the Hornady book load, being crimped at the canelure.

It is cold out today...about 30 degrees in Northeastern Ohio, but I kept the rounds in the house and carried them to my backyard range in my pocket, where they stayed until I fired them so they would not be cold.

The chrono data I have showed me a touch more velocity than I was expecting, but nothing shocking. Primers looked fine, and the cases all came out into my hand with an easy push on the ejector rod...nothing sticky, no pounding. The photos are of the brass that was used. So why the huge variation in charge weight? According to Lyman, the rounds I fired today were way over charged, but the results were a slightly stout .38 Special round that shot to point of aim, with no trouble ejecting and no flat primers...

So....what say the experts?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0540.jpg (37.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0541.jpg (39.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0542.jpg (33.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by KASarich; January 11, 2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Changed photo size.

Page generated in 0.03477 seconds with 9 queries