View Single Post
Old May 24, 2010, 08:31 AM   #110
OldMarksman
Staff

Posted by ScottRiqui:
Quote:
Do what you want, but a) springs don't need to "breathe" or otherwise recover from a period of compression, and b) as long as you don't over-compress the springs and exceed their elastic limits, leaving them fully loaded isn't going to shorten the spring life one iota.
Very true--the idea that keeping a magazine loaded will weaken the spring is a very old but still rather prevalent misconception. I labored under that erroneous belief for years.

Posted by WhyUse2:
Quote:
I am a damned good shot, even taking into account the incapacitating real life idea of being invaded by an armed idiot, though I know I will not be perfect. Thirdly, my wife and I practice scenario's with wooden guns we made.
How much of that skill, and how much of that practice, is applicable to a realistic SD encounter?

Quote:
If my first six shots don't count, then it is over for me anyway.
How many hits does it take to stop a determined violent criminal actor? How many shots does it take to hit and stop a rapidly moving attacker? Maybe three, maybe six, but how can you be sure? Do you really want to be left facing his accomplice with an empty gun?

Quote:
Lastly, I think a court would look unfavorably on someone who pumped seventeen rounds into someone from less than 30 feet.
That really shouldn't influence one's choice regarding magazines.

Page generated in 0.02861 seconds with 8 queries