View Single Post
Old March 27, 2006, 12:08 PM   #1
AlaskaMike

Different Powder's Effects on Forcing Cone/Top Strap Erosion

I've noticed a small groove on the top strap of my S&W Model 28 between the cylinder and forcing cone. I'm guessing this is what I've heard referred to as flame cutting? I've also heard of erosion, which I'm guessing is mainly of the forcing cone. Usually when I hear these terms, I also hear them used in conjunction with powders like H110 and W296. I actually know one reloader who strongly prefers 2400 over H110 and W296 because of this.

I mainly shoot 2400 and Blue Dot in my model 28, although I've recently loaded up some with H110. The funny thing is that I've shot many more full-power loads in my .44 Colt Anaconda (and I use primarily H110 there), and I see no evidence of any erosion anywhere on that gun.

Is there something about about H110 and W296, like maybe that they burn hotter? Or maybe is it simply that by their nature they must be pushed close to max pressures?

I'm guessing that it's nothing to do specifically with H110/W296, and more to do with a particular gun seeing more ammo loaded to high pressures, regardless of powder type. Of course, I'm pretty new to reloading, so I thought I'd post this question here for you more experienced types.

Thanks,
Mike

Page generated in 0.02972 seconds with 8 queries