View Single Post
Old February 5, 2021, 09:05 AM   #18
stagpanther

Quote:
In my limited experience shooting VLD bullets, you'll never get close to the lands in a SAAMI spec chamber. These two things can happen you seat the bullet out way too long to ever use the magazine making your rifle a single shot, the second is less likely but you dont have enough of the bulkets bearing surface in the case neck for proper neck tension. With VLD bullets the ogive is much closer to the base of the bullet than a traditional spitzer bullet, so a shallow throat is needed if you want very little jump to the lands.

Just read up on the Berger "making it shoot" seating depth test. I've had good luck with as much as .120-.130" jump for accuracy. If your rifle likes that much jump it's much easier to stay inside magazine length for reliable feeding.
I'm not of the jam it the lands camp--I shoot lots of Bergers and yes they sometimes prefer like the long jump over the short one. I'm not worried about the magazine length rigamarole either--in the end, everything would be dictated by the bullet and the chamber. Problem is, no way for me to know that without getting a baseline barrel made and working my way up to the ideal combo you want as far as I can tell, sorta a "chicken before the egg" kinda thing.

Quote:
The 7mm STW burns more powder than any other 28 caliber cartridge so it wears out barrels faster. 700 rounds is about all it'll give best accuracy.
Good point Bart. I have a question for you--have you ever found that there is usefulness in using a treatment like moly plating on bullets to help increase barrel life and/or accuracy? I have quite a few "over bore" cartridges and was curious if the pros actually see benefits from it.

Page generated in 0.02361 seconds with 8 queries