View Single Post
Old January 18, 2020, 03:25 PM   #221
FireForged

Quote:
As I posted earlier, the Church Security had already pegged this guy as a squirrel and IMO treated him too lightly. Someone should have been closer, hand on gun and outside his LOS. Had the one security guy who was killed been outside the LOS, his agonizingly slow draw would not have mattered. He could have killed the BG.
Yes, we do agree.

I am sure we both also agree that the idea is not to beat up on the defenders who ultimately saved many from harm. I certainly do not want my comments to seem as if they come from a desire to disparage the security team. That is truly not my intent.

That's said, I feel that the greatest advancement regarding "protection" in this type of situation could have been to address the problem more assertively and identify the broader threat much earlier. This is where I feel the discussion should be.. not some sort of consideration over distance shooting. Mitigation seems to be devoid of every thread I have seen on this subject. Concealing a shotgun should be rather difficult if someone were intentionally trying to assess you ( up close) for such a potential. Its odd to me that the discussions seem to be centered around something akin to IDPA imperatives and not how best to protect people from harm. Marksmanship is rarely the problem. General marksmanship is typically the easiest hurdle to jump.

I learned long ago that failures generally boil down to 4 things. A process failure, a training failure, a policy failure or individual (person) failure. It can certainly be the result of other issues but these are the top 4. I do not know how these men were trained so I wont speculate about this being a training issue. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that its not a training issue. Given that elimination, there may be a process problem which allowed this to unfold in the way that it did. I cant know for certain based on just the tid-bit of info that we have seen but for the purpose of debate, I will offer that.. its possible. Process and Policy often go hand in hand and I would be curious to know how they might be doing things differently, if at all.

Again, I am not blaming the good-guys. Sometimes bad things are going to happen but if we are to make an effort to prevent similar attacks in the future, we have to examine the particulars under a rather critical microscope.

Last edited by FireForged; January 18, 2020 at 03:46 PM.

Page generated in 0.02211 seconds with 8 queries