View Single Post
Old September 26, 2016, 01:33 PM   #22
jimbocarrey

Those charge simulators are pretty neat ideas I might have to build something like that. That's a lot of good information. The question regarding the 44 magnum loads was more hypothetical, and I agree that big bore handguns are very hard to tame, I know I need more practice to feel comfortable. However the ammo I had in mind when posting this is actually for a 12 gauge. Because I've done my share of deer hunting with slugs and turkey hunting with 3 inch magnum shells with 2 Oz of lead, I feel comfortable saying I'm quite proficient with hard kicking 12 GA loads. Handguns are another story as I don't have much experience with them. The two loads in question are a 600 grain hardcast slug at 1650fps and an 870gr hardcast slug at 1200 fps. The 600 grain is supposed to penetrate 42 inches and I think the 870 grain is closer to 50 inches. So my question was asked with these two in mind, whether 42 inches would be "enough" I feel like I can handle either but the 870 grain would probably be a little slower on follow up shots and it's a 3 inch shell as opposed to a 2 3/4" which I've had a few hangups from short shucking with 3 inchers because of the length of the fired shell. Not a big deal when hunting but could be bad in a self defense situation.

Page generated in 0.02704 seconds with 8 queries