Thread: Senate bill
View Single Post
Old April 24, 2012, 04:40 PM   #11
TexasFats

I, personally, don't think that HR822 has a chance of making it through the Senate. If it does, Obama will veto it. Since it takes a 2/3 majority in the House and also a 2/3 majority in the Senate to override a presidential veto, it is dead.

Personally, I think that the judiciary is the better way to go right now. That and agreements between states. It is an interstate compact that allows me to drive in every state on a Texas DL, by the way. There is no national law that requires states to recognize other states' DL's.

Also, HR822 has one subtle danger. While it is totally silent on requirements for issuance of a CHL, if it becomes law, the likes of Boxer, Schumer, Pelosi, Feinstein, et. al. will begin to demand passage of another law that sets federal standards for issuance of CHL's. In fact, Boxer has already introduced such a law in the Senate. Right now, it's not going anywhere, but passage of HR 822 could change that. Boxer's bill requires that all carry permits be discretionary rather than shall-issue and that the applicant "show good cause" to need to carry a firearm. That is the danger.

Sauron lives, and his orc minions are on the march.

Page generated in 0.02434 seconds with 8 queries