Thread: open carry
View Single Post
Old July 4, 2008, 07:59 PM   #44
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
The percentage of people open carrying is essentially negligible, the idea that it would affect crime statistics is laughable. Until a significant percentage of the population of a particular state (by that I mean maybe 1% or so) is actually OC'ing, there won't be a way to say anything based on statistics.
Statistics exist regardless of the percentage. How many people who are openly armed are victims of crime? It doesn't matter if they represent 90% of the population or 1%, there are statistics.

Quote:
Off-duty cops carry concealed, are you saying that a rational person would think that off-duty cops are welcoming conflict more than on-duty cops? The assertion is not supportable.
It was a comment made by the poster I was commenting on, not concealed carry in general. I think that distinction is clear if you read the exchange.

Concealed carry is just as viable as open carry and it should be left to the discretion of the person, not the government.

Quote:
Furthermore being able to choose the time and place (or even IF) you respond is a significant advantage in some situations. If you are openly armed, you don't get to make those choices, they're made for you. I listed some real world situations here.
In "some" situations. You can't measure the number of crimes you deter. But you can talk to inmates and ask them if armed citizens deter crime and in every instance I've read the overwhelming majority of criminals say that armed citizens do in fact do deter them.

Quote:
First of all, the idea that a CC invites crime by concealing is ridiculous.
So you're saying a hidden weapon is more of a deterrent than an openly displayed weapon? I think that is ridiculous.

Quote:
Statistics show that CC actually discourages violent crime across the board because criminals consider that anyone in the area (including the victim) may be armed and they have no way to tell who is and who isn't.
That's works great on a national average, and I agree with it. But unfortunately if you're a 140lbs nerd walking down the street at 1am you look like an easy mark regardless of the national average regarding CCW. If you have a weapon openly displayed, you look far less appealing to a mugger. That's a fact.

Quote:
On the other hand, if they can pinpoint who's armed and who's not, their job is much easier. In fact, here's an instance where a person invited crime by OC'ing. The proof is that nothing besides his gun was taken.

"Two suspects approached the victim from behind, and placed a metal object up to the victim’s head. The suspects took the victim’s hand gun which he was openly carrying. The suspect’s then fled the area. The victim was not injured."
Anecdotal. Are you saying a person carrying concealed has never been jumped from behind? That's absolutely ridiculous, if that's what you think.

Quote:
I believe OC should be legal, but I don't think it's the best carry option for several reasons.
I don't recall saying it was the best carry option. Please quote me if I said that. I only believe it should be legal in all 50 states - and should be left up to the discretion of the firearm owner.

Page generated in 0.02058 seconds with 8 queries