View Single Post
Old September 6, 2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Andrewh

features, where it is made and warranty support are the 3 things that might make a difference to you.

RIA as mentioned is made overseas in the PI.
they make 3 levels of 1911's.
GI for around 400
tactical for around 450-500
match grade for around 600

GI is the plain no beaver tail, no adjustible sights, looks like a WWII 1911.

Tactical is one step up. better sights, beavertail and flat msh.

Match grade is the fiber optic front sight, adjustible rear, and match grade barrel.

This price range and feature set is mimicked by Citidal, built by the same people I believe, and the match is the same as the STI spartan. a little more expensive around 650 to 700 but backed by STI as well.

all 3 if you can find them plus the spartan can be had in 9mm as well.

All of them as far as I know use bull barrels vs bushing barrels for the commander length.

RIA and STI are known for outstanding warranty service is something should happen.

Springfield armory is the next level up in price, but not necessarily in features.

they don't make the GI model any more, they make a mil-spec
Those start around 600.
the next up would be the range officer, probably can be had around 700 to 750.
then the loaded, which used would fall under your price point. about the same as a new range officer.

also known for great customer service.

there are a few newer 1911 makers now as well that normally fall under your price range.
Ruger just started but they are mostly sold out everywhere, and when you do find them, they are priced way over msrp. the few I have seen were asking over 800. but they should be under 700 as I understand it.

Remmington also started, but as I understand it people are not happy with the workmanship, so I would steer away.

kimber and para ordenance (sp) are 2 older makers of 1911's, both with offerings in your range, however their hit and miss QC and customer service makes people steer away from them as well.

and then of course colt.
it would still be a GI type gun for your price range.
used 70 series and 80 series should easilly be under 800.
you might catch a deal on a new one but again, you are getting their lowest featured gun.

probably forgetting a bunch of others.

Page generated in 0.03643 seconds with 8 queries