View Single Post
Old October 25, 2001, 07:39 AM   #14
David Scott

Norman,

I doubt the robbers will waste time going through everyone's pockets. In robbing a bank, speed is of the essence. They want to grab a bag of money and get out before a silent alarm or some passerby with a cell phone brings police.

As for the 4 against one, you're right, no one said it would be easy. There are a couple of factors that work in your favor, though.

1. Surprise. Since they have cowed the bystanders from the start of the operation, they'll feel in control. If you shoot as well as the average IDPA competitor you should be able to get the first two before they are able to react.

2. Skill. You average street punk/bank robber doesn't expend 200+ practice rounds per month at the range. To them a gun is a magic talisman they wave around to hypnotize the sheep. "Real TV" showed a video last night of a guy trying to rob a jewelry store, and he could not get his gun to work! The store owner just slapped the gun aside, and the robber fled.

3. The time thing, mentioned above. They know they have to get in and out fast,so if there's resistance they may shoot back, but they'll be backing for the exits as they do it.

Any scenario involving a lot of bystanders is a nightmare, and you should only draw in the last extreme. If you do have to draw, you'll need thattraining and practice behind you to make you more effective than they are.
"As I looked at my two young sons, each with his gun, and considered how much the safety of the party depended on these little fellows, I felt grateful to you, dear husband, for having acquainted them in childhood with the use of firearms."

-- Elisabeth Robinson, in The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss

Page generated in 0.02822 seconds with 8 queries