View Single Post
Old November 12, 2001, 12:27 AM   #9
El Rojo

My dad is a master caller.

My dad uses a Johnny Stuart electronic call and he is quite a proficient caller. As has been stated, they will hear that call for miles and come a runnin. We have found that the most effecient calling method is to set up a shotgunner about 10 yards upwind from the call. Usually with even a slight slope this enables you to set up a person with a rifle about 50+ yards back with a good view of the entire area. Any coyotes that come in close can be shot easily with the shotgun. Coyotes that are not as tempted and hang out away from the call can be dispatched at distance. This method works great. Sometimes we have gotten doubles in close with the shotgun, sometimes the coyotes stays out there 200 yards and just looks and he gets hit with the rifle. As was mentioned, don't screw around. If you have a shot...take it. If you shoot a coyote early on in the call, don't leave! One memorible call comes to mind. I was on the rifle and my dad was on the shotgun. I could see for hundreds of yards and we were overlooking this large canyon. About one minute into the call, I am startled from my long distance search by the sound of sudden shotgun bursts. My dad had a coyote trot within 3-5 yards of him as he was laying on the ground. It scared him so bad he blew his first shot and then got him on the second. The third shot missed a little and off the coyote went. It really sucks to miss that close, but it happens. We hunkered back down and waited. Less than five minutes later I see two coyotes a couple hundred yards away on the other side of this ditch. I start to get ready. I guess where they are going to approach us at and sure enough, they come racing out of the ditch towards the call. My dad was not quite as surprised on these two even though he didn't see them until they were about 10 yards away. I was following them with the rifle as they passed about 30-40 yards from me, but it was unnecessary. Dad nailed them both and I shot the last one just to make sure. Had we left after the first shot, we wouldn't have gotten those two later on. This has happened to my dad numerous times. In fact, he got 4 with a shotgun in that same exact spot the year before.

As to Art's recommendation about adjusting the volume, we have never done this and they coyotes still come in full speed. We set the call up away from our location and it just stays as is. One time I had a coyote run up to the call and it seemed to sort of spoke him, but I think it was mainly because it was not a rabbit, but a camoflauged bag with a speaker standing on it. We try to put the call in a bush or throw brush on it now. The volume thing might get results, but we have found KISS to be a good principle. Just set it to about 7 or 8 and leave it.

Calling is lots of fun. I highly recommend it. Nothing will get your heart racing faster than a coyote running towards you at full speed. Especially when you can see them coming from hundreds of yards away. Then there is the element of surprise, you may not see the coyote until they are only a few yards away. Great fun.

Page generated in 0.03851 seconds with 8 queries