View Single Post
Old October 29, 2013, 11:27 PM   #14
OldFotoMan

Thanks a lot for all of the quick replies.

The Colt SAA was the gun my grandfather carried and used as a side arm on all of his hunting trips for deer, moose, or elk until the mid 1960's. The 10 gauge was what he used for goose and duck at that time. They were both guns that my father used to teach me to shoot pistol and shotgun back then. I think I recall grandfather firing the 1877 DA Lightning, but I'm not sure on that one. I do know they have been properly stored since then, but it has been 50 years now.

I do still have a couple of boxes of the 2 7/8 inch 10 gauge shells that we used to use in the W&C Scott, and some of the 45 Colts that we used in the SAA. Nothing for the 1877 DA Lightning. But I have been told that if they were actual BP loads, they may not be safe as old as they are anyway.

So as most of you point out, even though they are all excellent mechanically, time may have taken it's toll and it may not be worth the risk; especially with the values on the SAA. Sometimes, fond memories just give me a desire to fire them again.

Sometimes, checking with others helps me keep my head level, and maybe keep my hands in one piece. Thanks again.

Page generated in 0.03609 seconds with 8 queries