View Single Post
Old October 28, 2013, 01:02 PM   #1
OldFotoMan

Black powder or smokeless ?

I don't mean to seem dumb, but I have a question about ammo for old guns.

I have several old guns that I would like to shoot, but need to know what is safe to shoot in them. I certainly do understand that they should not be fired with normal, modern, higher power loads; but is it safe to shoot smokeless cartridges that were designed to replace or duplicate the original BP loads and pressures in some of these old guns.

As an example, I have an old WC Scott 10 gauge double with Damascus barrels (made 1890), a Colt SAA (made 1872), and a Colt 1877 Lightning (made 1891).

I shot these guns many times when I was young, and don't remember any heavy or excessive smoke being produced by them, but that was about 50 years ago. I fired the SAA about 20 years ago with some old ammo that was with it when I inherited it.

Again, I know not to use modern higher power loads, but from everything I've read in cartridge books, the original smokeless loads were designed to duplicate the pressures and ballistic performance of the original BP loads in order for them to be able to be used safely in these older guns. I know smokeless burns slower and BP is an almost instant detonation, but from my understanding of basic physics, as long as the total pressures are the same, that should be safer in theory, since the smokeless would build the pressure slower.

I would probably even reduce the loads slightly from what the original pressures were if I hand loaded or had them loaded, but smokeless is certainly less corrosive and easier to clean, so I would rather go that route if it would be safe.

All input will be appreciated.

I’m not sure whether this question should be in the C&R or the Black Powder and Cowboy Action section, but am posting it in both as it would seem to be of interest and fall into both. Administrators, please feel free to let me know or remove it from either if you feel it’s in the wrong place or if duplicating to reach different readers is not allowed.

Thanks.

Page generated in 0.03318 seconds with 8 queries