View Single Post
Old December 4, 2008, 11:18 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

GringoLoco,

At a COL of 1.270", 5.4 grains of 231 will fire a 230 grain RN FMJ bullet at the same pressure and velocity as 5.0 grains of SR 7970, the military hardball loading. The higher charges will be well into +P or even +P+ pressure territory, as the military hardball load leaves a bit of headroom.

Cchardwick,

Due to early obturation, sometimes lead bullets can actually cause higher peak pressure than jacketed bullets over the same powder charge. Not knowing your bullet alloy I can only advise working up from a load on the low end. 4.5 grains of 231 will roughly imitate commercial semi-wadcutter target load levels with a 185 or 200 grain bullet. With the Lee 230 grain tumble lube even less will still function most guns. I would start with 3.9 grains under the 230 grain cast bullet and check for function and accuracy. Add. 0.3 grains and check again. Keep going up, watching for pressure signs, until you have the lightes load that shoots and functions the gun well enough to test your skills when you are not using the sandbags.

I wouldn't exceed 5.4 grains without a particular reason to. Even that is enough to begin to exaggerate the slight bulge that is normal for .45 ACP brass ejected from a standard 1911 or other unsupported barrel design. It isn't dangerous, but it shortens case life and I can't see a reason to waste the brass. If you want a hotter load for IPSC power factor, it won't be built on 231 anyway. Maybe Power Pistol or something like that?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.02050 seconds with 8 queries