Thread: 1903 ?
View Single Post
Old November 20, 2012, 03:06 PM   #26
kraigwy

No sir:

If there is documented evidence that the rifle is legal per CMP rules, the individual can use the gun.

The intent of the rules is not to prevent people from shooting, but to do so safely and within the spirit of the games.

Example: No glass bedding is allowed on the Garand Matches, upon inspection we find the rifle has in fact been glass bedded. Therefore it's not use.

This wasn't to keep the individual from shooting his Garand, its to make if fair to the other Garand shooter.

Several NM Garands are out there, and Garands chambered for the 308.

This wasn't a safety issue, but an issue just the same. So the CMP created a separate category, the Unlimited M1 Garand Rifles (Rule 6.4.1).

Also a lot of people showed up wanting to shoot AKs SKS, ARs, etc. A separate category was created for these rifles Modern Military Rifle (Rule 6.4.2)

Safety is a separate issue: The Chief Range Officer has the responsibility to make sure the matches are conducted in a safe manner, and has the authority to prohibit what he believes to be unsafe firearms and ammo.

Personally I have never barred a rifle for safety reasons, Ammo yes but not guns.

Ammo comes into play when we are dealing with re-loaded ammo that has not been sized properly. Not a problem for bolt guns but is a problem for gas guns. I carry case gages, and if I suspect ammo is not sized properly, I check it with the gage, if the ammo doesn't not fit the gage, that ammo is removed from the firing line. Again, ammo will be provided so that individual can shoot.

You guys are making it sound like my whole goal in live is ban people from shooting CMP Matches (I do the same thing in NRA High Power Matches).

That's not the case, I want to increase the participation in shooting sports, but I want it done safely. (As does the CMP and my Club's Insurance Provider).
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02914 seconds with 8 queries