View Single Post
Old February 21, 2013, 10:55 AM   #26
gaseousclay

Quote:
The thing to remember is that the gun culture isn't really unified. Glenn and others have pointed that out well.

There are, what, 90 million gun owners? 4 million belong to the NRA. That's 4.4%. Out of those, how many can we expect to take even the most basic of political actions? Ten percent? That puts us at 400,000 voices.

Even those folks can't unify on even the simplest things. Look at debates about Presidential candidates the last couple of election cycles.
agreed. the political divide among gun owners speaks volumes as to why we aren't united.

case in point:

Quote:
I wish I could say this without being crass... but...

Protest marches are most effective when they appeal to the unemployed (who have the time to participate) and are targeted towards politicians who cater to the unemployed.

Think "Occupy Wallstreet"... The accountants, bankers, and lawyers in Manhattan did not organize their own "occupy" movement in response. The used the power of their wallet. In the end, the only thing the "occupy" movement succeeded in doing was putting a few unlucky restaurants out of business, spreading a lot of STDs, and smoking a lot of weed.

We, the gun-owners, tend to have full time jobs and disposable income. Well-written letters and campaign donations are our best weapon.
it's this type of rhetoric that further erodes unity among gun owners. there's absolutely no need for it in the gun debate and to paint a cross section of this country as deadbeats is doing more harm than good. this is why I don't stand in solidarity with fellow gun owners because I for one will not be persecuted because of my political beliefs

Page generated in 0.03254 seconds with 8 queries