View Single Post
Old March 17, 2001, 05:17 PM   #2
Contender

Coolray,

I have taper crimped 357 loads with jacketed bullets with cannelures. I will warn you that it is very easy to over crimp using a taper crimp die. The taper crimp will hold like gangbusters and will cause a drastic rise in pressures. This happened to me a while back. The die will actually swage the side of the case into the bullet and cause a dangerous rise in pressures if your not careful. The thing of it is, is that it's hard to tell this visually. That's how it got passed me. It was virtually impossible to pull the remaining bullets and I had to junk the cartridges.

Having said that, that crimp works well on 38 target loads with lead bullets, just do so lightly. The taper crimp has much more holding power than the roll type and it will fool you sometimes.

I would try the Lee Factory Crimp Die for handgun cartridges as I believe it would be less apt to distort bullets also. The taper crimp can do this easily if done to excess. Remember, the taper crimp is used for auto pistol cartridges and needs to be done in such a way as to still allow the cartridge to headspace on the case mouth properly. That should tell you something.

Regards

Page generated in 0.02982 seconds with 8 queries