Thread: New CHL!
View Single Post
Old April 29, 2014, 03:22 PM   #17
9mmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
Please clarify if they are still legal in your car with your loaded handgun... if they are the only one in the car? In most places, certainly where I live, this is constructive possession of a loaded, concealed handgun. If my buddy picks my car up for me for any reason and I'm not there, he better have a carry license or he's risking a felony.
Yes, in Texas one may possess a handgun in a car they own or one that is under their control. As long as they are not a prohibited person, committing a crime (other than standard moving violations) or a member of a criminal street gang(!). The handgun must be concealed. Texas law makes no distinction between a loaded or unloaded gun. We used to have a "traveling" exemption under the UCW chapter of the Penal Code, but traveling was never defined. That went away when the so-called Motorist Protection Act was passed a few years back.

Long guns are a different animal entirely, and may be openly carried as long as it is not done in a manner calculated to alarm or somesuch.

However, if one does not hold a valid Texas CHL the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act still applies.

Edited to add: looks like somebody was typing at the same time I was, only faster.

Page generated in 0.02250 seconds with 8 queries