View Single Post
Old March 21, 2013, 06:01 PM   #36
wyobohunter

Help: 44 Mag or 454 Handgun and Recommended Ammo for Extended Stay in Alaska

I'll comment on the X frame S&W (460 & 500). Yup, they are the most powerful of the commonly available handguns but I sold my 500 after only a few months (not sure exactly how long... Less than a year for sure) of ownership. Would I complain about the hurkiness if I ever had to face a mean critter? No, I wouldn't. But it really was awful to carry, may as well been hauling a rifle. In the end I decided to sell it and go with a Ruger Alaskan in 454. I always had that with me unless I was packing a rifle, and even then I still had it with me sometimes (like when calling for predators only armed with a .243 or .223).

Keep in mind, your defensive gun is only worth having if it isn't a burden to pack.

Also, an earlier poster said that your odds of being charged by a brown bear are slim. He is absolutely correct. I lived, fished, hunted the Kenai Peninsula for ten years and only saw 3 brown bears and was never charged. I did see gobs of black bears, especially while in the high country. If you are going to the Mat-Su valley your experience should be similar, still. Be prepared.

Other parts of AK you will see lots more brownies, Kodiak, AK peninsula, ABC islands etc.

Page generated in 0.02530 seconds with 8 queries