View Single Post
Old September 29, 2008, 09:51 PM   #4
FALshootist

Alot of people like screw in chokes and some pay alot of money for them. Me, I own guns with them (because thats how they came), but they are rarely or ever changed (I usually use full or modified).

My Golden Snipe has a full choke lower barrel. It doesn't matter what game I'm playing, usually trap (too bad we no longer have a sporting clays field close by). The bottom line though is, I either point correctly and hit or don't and miss.

I like a more open choke (modified)for hunting, that way the bird doesn't get hit with too many pellets (I like eating bird, but not lead). But again, this is just a matter of knowing how your gun patterns and pointing appropriately, so the bird is not obliterated with the full load of shot.

I look at screw in chokes as a crutch, either you can shoot or you can't. However, alot of shooting comes down to confidence with the gun you are using. If screw in chokes give you more confidence, well then for you they are worth the money.

Which is great, because then people like me get great prices on great guns like the Golden Snipe that don't have all the current bells and whistles gun makers would like you to believe that you need to be a good shot.

Page generated in 0.03350 seconds with 8 queries