View Single Post
Old February 7, 2013, 11:07 PM   #13
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to set the record straight.

This was not a "Town Hall" meeting. This was a committee of the MD Senate, having an open public meeting to take testimony for or against a certain anti-gun bill. In that respect, it was far worse than anyone has made it out to be.

Fact: 4000+ MD citizens signed the ledger to offer either written or vocal comments on the bill.

Fact: The committee chairperson had allotted 4 hours of testimony from both sides of the issue.

Fact: The anti-gun side didn't even use up 3 hours of their time (they ran out of people).

Fact: The major number of the anti-gun side were city, county or state employees

Fact: At 9:00pm, the remaining people who had not yet testified, were given about 10 seconds to state their name, where they lived and whether they supported or opposed the bill... Which by this time, the remainder of those who wanted to testify, were opposed.

Fact: The turnout of such a large group of pro-gun MD residents was the culmination of a coordinated drive by Maryland Shall Issue (MSI) and MDShooters.com.

Here is an NRA eBlast about the event: NRA-ILA | Maryland: Fight Against Senate Bill 281 Begins with Massive Pro-Gun Turnout for Senate Judicial Proceedings Hearing

The problem with the above is that no one at MDShooters had any knowledge that this was an NRA event. As one person commented:

Quote:
The NRA was there?

Seriously. Other than all the members who were there standing in line for hours? Members like me?

If they'd sent Wayne Lapierre, I would have asked him to leave for fear of hurting our cause. They need a better, more polished, more empathetic-appearing mouthpiece.

Maryland is at the point of the spear now on gun control legislation: what are we getting from the NRA? Hell, at least MSI was there with the ubiquitous blue stickers.

I'm not suggesting we all ditch the NRA: I just upgraded. But they need to get their act together because the feces is hitting the rotating aerodynamic device. At least have a presence there handing out signs or stickers or SOMETHING. They've got another chance on the 5th of March. They should put their money where their mouth is. Crap: grill us some hotdogs or something...

Page generated in 0.03635 seconds with 8 queries