View Single Post
Old August 25, 2012, 05:51 PM   #3
PawPaw

I understand that some folks use lighter bullets in the .243 and that's fine, but I've never found a load that works, but I admit that I didn't try real hard to nail down a light bullet load in that rifle.

I use 100-105 grain bullets for our smallish whitetail deer I push them to about 3100 fps with Reloder 22 and get very good accuracy the load. They put down our little deer with authority. I like the way they fly. I admit I'm not a varmint shooter, and if I was shooting small varmints like you fellows in your prairie dog towns, I'd probably find something lighter. I haven't shot the barrel out yet, but it's only got about 1000 rounds through it. I've been toying with the notion of yanking that barrel out and putting in a faster twist heavier contour barrel and see if it will shoot those lovely 107 grain Matchkings. My 9.25-twist Savage won't stabilize them, they're starting to keyhole at 100 yards and Sierra recommends a 7 or 8 twist.

There's a lot to like about the .243 Winchester, only it doesn't have the grace, charm, and allure of the newer cartridges. It's been around since 1955, but before that it's credited to Warren Page, who looked at a .308 Win cartridge and wondered what might happen if he necked it to 6mm. It's a solid, steady performer and one I enjoy working with.

It's a great little all-round cartridge if you realize it's limitations. With good bullets it is capable of most of the medium game on the continent. With good, premium bullets like Barnes, or some of the newer bonded bullets it might be capable of larger game if the marksman knows how to use the rifle.

Go see 6mmbr and look at their .243 page. Lots of good information there. LINKY!

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Last edited by PawPaw; August 25, 2012 at 05:58 PM.

Page generated in 0.03561 seconds with 8 queries