View Single Post
Old August 25, 2012, 05:27 PM   #2
10-96

I dunno, that seems like a mighty low number to me. My Rem 700 varmint rig is in that ballpark and it hasn't shown any signs at all of groups opening up. A lot of wear that is imparted on the life of a bbl depends on it's diet. If you load light and fast with faster(?) powders, then that might tend to speed things up. But then again, I launch 55 & 58gr bullets just under 3800fps with Ramshot Big Game powder- if your sources are correct, my bbl should have been toast many moons ago.

I really like my .243's and my loads, they really let me reach out there on p-dog towns to ranges my .223's couldn't dream of. I've never loaded rounds heavier than the Speer 70gr TNT's (and not many of those), so I couldn't speculate on the heavier bullets, but I've heard a guy can't go wrong on med size game with the 95's which some say perform better than the 105's. But, that's just what I've read and heard.

It's hard to go wrong with the .243, it's just a really good all-around cartridge. Plus, if you fall in love with it and do manage to wear out a bbl, Lilja and Hart both are making stainless steel 3-groove barrels that is supposed to increase barrel life a lot. One of those is what's going on my 1903A3 project.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.

Page generated in 0.02561 seconds with 8 queries